Thursday, February 26, 2015

Hattifatteners in the plants

I am a devoted fan of Tove Jansson's Moomins. I first discovered the novels about Moonintroll and his friends and family when I was young, and my for their fantastically quirky world has only grown over the years. This past Christmas, I was lucky enough to receive both the Deluxe Anniversary Edition of the Moomin comic strips and this fetching mug- my new favourite receptacle for my morning coffee.


As a tribute to some of the strangest characters in the Moomin universe, I made these Hattifatteners from craft foam attached to wooden skewers and placed them in a potted plant where they have lived happily for several years.




To me, Hattifatteners have always seemed like a cross between a ghost and a stalk of white asparagus. Their simple shape makes them an easy subject for a creative project; these young folks have chosen to make giant Hattifatteners out of snow!



If you're a Moomin fan too, why not try your hand at making your own Hattifatteners!


1 comment: